1. Welcome to the CrystalCraftMC website and forums, guest! If you are signing up to get Member, please use your EXACT Minecraft username as your website username to get the Member rank!

urbansith's Yad eht fo elddir!

Discussion in 'Forum Games' started by urbansith, Jul 9, 2016.

1. urbansith

urbansith Active Member

Hello CrystalCrafters!

So you've managed to find this thread, Congratulations! As you can see it is my new Riddle of the day thread. Each and everyday I will post a new riddle or brain teaser. If you think you know the answer feel free to post your guess. I will confirm when someone figures it out and at the end of the week I will award a prize to the person with the most correct answers! And I should point out that the first to guess the correct answer wins for that day. If it is a tie for the most correct guesses at the end of the week I will pick a winner based entirely on a random with a random name selector ( I definetly won't pick the winner of ties based on my personal feelings towards said player ;) ). ​

Hopefully this all sounds somewhat interesting and you have actually read the full post up to this point. If, like me, you just skip big paragraphs, just answer the riddles as they come up.

WINNERS!
    Week ending 10/07/16 : ....................

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. urbansith

urbansith Active Member

Riddle 10/07/16

What is a seven letter word containing thousands of letters?

3. Party_Wabbit

Party_Wabbit Active Member

Mailbox! :D

4. ezlmaoo

ezlmaoo Active Member

Mailbox. Am I allowed to post my own riddles/challenges?

5. Party_Wabbit

Whats black and white and red all over

a sunburned zebra :D

6. Buhk

Buhk Active Member

A newspaper.

7. dellman135

dellman135 Prune Juice.

Not to be mean but a lot of people are going to use google...lol.

8. Party_Wabbit

no

9. ezlmaoo

ezlmaoo Active Member

Steve and Michael are friends with Adam and they want to find out when his birthday takes place. Adam gives them a list of 20 possible birth dates, one of which is his:

January 21
    May 3
    May 8
    May 12
    July 30
    July 31
    July 29
    August 15
    August 18
    September 20
    September 21
    September 24
    October 22
    October 23
    November 19
    November 21
    December 19
    December 20
    December 22
    June 19

Adam then tells Steve and Michael separately a month and a day respectively.

Steve: I don't know when Adam's birthday is, but I know that Michael doesn't either
    Michael: At first I don't know when Adam's birthday is, but because Steve doesn't know either, I now know.
    Steve: Then I also know when Adam's birthday takes place.

Solve to find Adam's birthday.

(Note that this DOES have a solution and NO you won't find it in google, however it is not an easy problem if you don't pay close attention to all the details.)

30 diamond blocks to whoever figures it out first and is able to give an explanation as to why the answer is the right one.

>>> And to the staff who can see the ludicrous amounts of edits that I've made please don't give away the answer unless everyone else has given up... The original question was too easy <<<

Last edited: Jul 9, 2016
  10. Wonckay

Wonckay Active Member

The birthday is December the 22nd.

Steve was given the month, but since he doesn't know it, the date must be a non-unique month. He also knows Michael doesn't know, so it must be a non-unique date, and after these days are eliminated October also ends up with one possible date (and thus is a non-unique month), and since he didn't know, we eliminate it and are
    left with;

Sep. 20 / Sep. 21
    Nov. 19 / Nov. 21
    Dec. 19 / Dec. 20 / Dec. 22

Michael arrives at the same list through the same logic, and the fact that he was able to decide means it was the now-unique number 22nd. Michael was given the number 22nd, but he didn't know if it was December or October. Since he sees that Steve would have obviously picked October after the Oct. 23rd date had been elmiminated if his info had been that it fell on October, it must not be October the 22nd, and so that leaves December the 22nd.

Steve sees that Michael was able to rationalized the answer, and since all the other options were two-pairs of identically numbered dates (which Michael would not have been able to decide between without a month) the answer must have been the isolated December the 22nd.

11. Wonckay

Wonckay Active Member

Assuming that was actually the answer, it wasn't too hard - took me a minute or two, but it was pretty fun. Reminds me of the famous Island of the Green-Eyed Dragons riddle, actually.

12. ezlmaoo

ezlmaoo Active Member

Congratulations @Wonckay! You're wrong! Let's see who else can figure out the answer.

13. Wonckay

Wonckay Active Member

So wait, what?

14. ezlmaoo

ezlmaoo Active Member

Here's a hint: You were on the right track and got very close to the answer. The final process of elimination is where you went wrong.

To be honest I wasn't expecting anyone to get this close.

15. Wonckay

Wonckay Active Member

Ah, I was just confused since "Let's see who else can figure out the answer" sort of implies it was right even though you pretty clearly said it was wrong (and I had immediately assumed the congratulations to be sarcastic anyways).

To be honest, I've always found deciphering what you're saying to be a riddle pretty much all the time.

16. ezlmaoo

ezlmaoo Active Member

My bad, I wasn't paying attention, so let me try to explain myself.
    When I initially made the riddle I wasn't expecting anyone to actually get so far, so I only actually tried identifying the answer once you posted your response. Having arrived to the same conclusion as you, December 22, I was in the process of actually congratulating you on having solved the riddle. For some strange reason I decided to shower before I pressed enter, and so left the celebratory comment I was going to post on standby for until I came back. Interestingly, as I was in the shower I realized that there WAS a mistake in both our answers, and upon having reviewed the information I realized that the solution was different to what you had proposed. I TRIED to modify the celebratory comment in order to make it acknowledge the fallacy you made, but evidently that's something I struggled too much with.

Admittedly you're right in saying that "Let's see who else can figure out the answer" somewhat implies that you were right, but think about it this way: If you were right, and you had already posted an explanation as to why that is, what would be the point of me asking someone else to paraphrase what you just said?

17. Wonckay

Wonckay Active Member

Well, actually the thing is I posted my "So wait, what?" comment under the confusion of whether you had actually meant me being wrong, or whether that part was sarcasm. However, I went to play the piano for a bit and while I was doing so I realized exactly what you said, that if I had been right the explanation was already there anyways. So when I came back to answer your post I mentioned knowing already that the congratulations was not truthful, a fact I only 100% realized inbetween posts.

Also, originally I expected the answer to be simply that one of the non-unique months had only one same-number partner, so the answer would just be the other non-unique day (as in, not June 19 so therefore November 19), but both of the two sole-months numbers have days shared by two other dates each. The fact that you could then eliminate both of them since it would be impossible to decide between them, and then eliminate the October date through double-checking a double-check was such a backwards path that I thought you might have miswritten the riddle. I am curious to hear what mistake you realized in the original answer while in the shower, since unfortunately I've already taken mine today.

18. iDEVLMAN

iDEVLMAN Member

Here's how it works. You eliminate the dates based on what Steve and michael say. Steve has been given the month and michael has been given the day. The first thing steve says is that he knows michael doesn't know. There are 10 numbers that occur once that would allow michael to know, May 3, may 8, may 12, July 30, July 31, July 29, August 15, August 18, September 24, and October 23. When steve says that you eliminate those numbers. But Albert knows the month. So if Albert was given May July august September or october he couldn't eliminate those dates, so we know he wasn't given them so you cross them out all together. We now have 7 days left. Michael then says he knows. This is because he has the number. So we know number duplicates are eliminated because they have the same number. This leaves us with December 20th or December 22nd. When steve says he knows then it has to be december because steve only knows the month and December is all that's left. So it has to be either one of those but you can't actually solve it any further from here except for deductive reasoning where you said it wasn't the 22nd so it has to be the 20th.
    Final answer, the 20th.

19. iDEVLMAN

iDEVLMAN Member

Edit: I don't know how my phone got Albert from Steve.
    Second edit: December 20th

20. _Sircumference_

_Sircumference_ New Member

Here's how it works. You eliminate the dates based on what Steve and michael say. Steve has been given the month and michael has been given the day. The first thing steve says is that he knows michael doesn't know. There are 10 numbers that occur once that would allow michael to know, May 3, may 8, may 12, July 30, July 31, July 29, August 15, August 18, September 24, and October 23. When steve says that you eliminate those numbers. But steve knows the month. So if steve was given May July august September or october he couldn't eliminate those dates, so we know he wasn't given them so you cross them out all together. We now have 7 days left. Michael then says he knows. This is because he has the number. So we know number duplicates are eliminated because they have the same number. This leaves us with December 20th, November 21st, December 22nd. When steve says he knows then it can't be december because steve only knows the month and December is a duplicate so it has to be November 21. After I got the answer I thought it would be easier to just copy iDEVLMAN's reasoning and fix the flaws.

• Winner Winner x 1