1. Welcome to the CrystalCraftMC website and forums, guest! If you are signing up to get Member, please use your EXACT Minecraft username as your website username to get the Member rank!

This is America.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by dellman135, May 19, 2018.

1. dellman135

dellman135 Prune Juice. Staff Member Administrator

*DISCLAIMER: IF THINGS GET OUT OF HAND ON THIS POST I WILL LOCK IT WITH NO HESITATION PLEASE BE NICE BUT ALSO VOICE YOUR OPINION.

So I know this video has been circulating the web the last couple weeks and I wanted to hear everyone's thoughts on it. Did you like it? hate it? think it was disgusting? think it was empowering? What do you think!?

My thoughts: I loved the video and everything that was in it. It's shows the current state of America and all of it's violence. I think Donald Glover did an amazing job with not just the lyrics but the acting as well it made a clear vision of America. My favorite part had to be the silent 17 seconds, which represents the Parkland Florida School shooting. That personally effects me most since I'm currently enrolled in high school and the chances for my school getting shot up get higher and higher by the week now (Their was a school shooting yesterday). More kids have been killed this year than United States soldiers, crazy. But..this is America?

2. InfiniteCorners

InfiniteCorners Commander of Blocks Staff Member

Owner
    I'm not sure I understand the question but I didn't really like the video. It's easy for someone to slam some shock imagery into a video with a beat and lament about 'the way things are' but he doesn't seem to raise any issue he believes may be the cause of the problem or propose any sort of solution. It just seems like a cash grab to me, some celebrity capitalizing on tragedy, like Toby Keith or any number of other artists who created "Merica!" content after 9/11. Without theory or action it's all just whining and I don't see what this guy hoped to accomplish with this video other than adding some 0s to his bank account. It seems to have worked though- video of an execution and shooting a children's choir group was apparently enough to put this song into the top 100 which I would consider a symptom of the underlying problem. I mean: Go read the lyrics, just read them without the video, and try to argue that this is a good song. It's infantile and I really doubt it would've made it anywhere near the charts if he wasn't shooting kids with an AK47 in the video. Shameful. Now, just for comparison, why don't you google "Changes" by Tupac and you'll get an idea of what a good song is. I don't even like rap but Changes is objectively a great song and puts this drek to shame.

Before any meaningful change can be made to a problem you need to have a theory as to what is causing the problem and a plan of action to correct it. Childish Gambino offers neither of those, he's just whining... like a child. Maybe a better conversation would be discussing what we believe is inspiring the desire to "kill everyone" that sends these people off on their path and what could realistically be done to stop them from falling all the way down the rabbit hole.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. JMW18

JMW18 Future software engineer

I have to agree with Infinite on this one. The video does nothing but state the obvious. Everybody knows that America has a violent culture; but why do we have a violent culture? Shooting kids with an AK-47 is just a way to get people to pay attention.

One root cause of the issue in America right now is that we give kids "role models" that are terrible examples of morality and maturity. Another cause may be that we show kids videos like this and praise them while it has violence and propaganda all over it. Last, people just are not taught the value of human life anymore. We would rather entertain ourselves and ignore others that are hurting. I am not saying shootings are justified but could they have been stopped if somebody would have saw the warning signs and tried to help the perpetrators? Maybe it would work and maybe it wouldn't but it sure is a better idea than posting this propaganda.

• Like Like x 1