1. Welcome to the CrystalCraftMC website and forums, guest! If you are signing up to get Member, please use your EXACT Minecraft username as your website username to get the Member rank!

Complaint There needs to be a chat filter

Discussion in 'Survival Server' started by MCMCaveman, Jan 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MCMCaveman

MCMCaveman Well-Known Member

After the two idiots last night, who joined just to spam chat with vulgarities, there needs to be a chat filter enabled and/or installed. My 8yr son was reading the chat when those two accounts started spamming their foulness. I don’t want to have to disable my son’s chat via client side settings, but I will not allow my son to see/read cussing or cursing or derogatory language.

And the excuse “that’s how people talk in real life” is a sad and unacceptable response to people who do not tolerate deviant language.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. CrissCrisis

CrissCrisis Active Member

People who do that as so horrible. Honestly they make me mad. I second this, a chat filter would be great.

• Like Like x 1
  3. JMW18

JMW18 Future software engineer Staff Member Moderator

The staff team is looking into a fix to ensure that the server is made appropriate for all ages even in the absence of a staff member. Thank you for your concern. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  4. jflory7

jflory7 A Purple Jukebox Staff Member Founder Sysadmin

I think it's okay to keep the thread open. We may want feedback from others, and I'm actually curious about how people feel about our past policy.

I did not read last night's logs, but I assume the normal type of rude spammers with vulgarities. A chat filter can help this.

The way we have always handled this is in moderation. People have used more explicit language at times, but it wasn't in excess nor did it appear to be only for the purpose of swearing. I'm not sure if our target audience for the server is below PG-13 (in my mind).

From this complaint, it's not clear to me if you are proposing all foul language is censored, or just better ways to handle vulgar spammers. I see those as two different things.

5. Wonckay

Wonckay Active Member

The first step to solving a problem is always to properly understand it! These are indeed two separate issues, and on the former I would agree with Jflory that it's probably unnecessary to filter occasional swearing that isn't "simply for the purpose of swearing". However, I think the issue of fighting chat-spam, especially in the form of all-caps spammed swearing (which this was, I saw it when it happened) is at least one we can all easily get behind. A filter that regulates repeat phrases, rapid chat, and all-caps messages would be helpful - I'm not sure how much of one IS implemented, but that's what the spammer was essentially doing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. GolemClyde

GolemClyde New Member

I would like to say, that I would see it as a con, if language was to be censored across the board. It would, to me, make it seem more a server for children, than a place befitting gaming sessions with friends.

7. MCMCaveman

If your gaming session requires foul language to be enjoyable with friends, then go use the voice chat. Let the in-game chat be filtered for general audiences. In the meantime, I have turned off my son’s chat.

8. Cragnarok

Cragnarok Staff Member Staff Member Trial Moderator

Is there the option of turning a chat filter on/off somehow so that some can have it all filtered, like MCMCaveman wants?

• Creative Creative x 2
  9. MCMCaveman

10. Echophox

Echophox The GIF King

If memory serves me correctly, didn't we used to have the ability to mute specific players from chat?
    ...am I misremembering?

I recognize that would require client side muting of the player, but it's AN option to deal with players who seem bent on just shooting their mouths off for........reasons...?

11. GameLogicYT

GameLogicYT Member

I agree with GolemClyde on this since it'll be restricting chat and will change the overall feeling of the server. Also what did happen with the /mute feature Echophox is talking about? Why would we choose to silence most of the server other than the few people that are the problem?
    (This thread was made after 2 random new members joined and spammed curse words just to troll, after we welcomed them to the server.)

12. Natzic

Natzic The Sarcastic Person! Staff Member

Owner
    Staff members have the ability to mute a certain player.

Players also have access to /ignore <player> to ignore them, meaning you won't see messages, chat, tp requests from that player.

Now for my opinion, personally I almost never use any kind of foul language. I also don't mind someone using it to an extent. Personally I think a plugin to censor certain words would be alright, but I don't think we should remove all foul language.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. MCMCaveman

A chat filter does NOT restrict chat, it FILTERS. Muting is useless for when a new account joins and instantly starts spamming chat with non-child friendly language. A chat filter would auto-omit the predetermined blacklisted words/phrases.

There is no difference between PG13 and R rated language, the rating difference has to do with the frequency and quantity of the same foul language. The USA rating tiers go G, PG, PG13, R.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Jacc734

Jacc734 President Bacon

I have an idea/possible solution in progress that would work as player-specific filtering, meaning only players with the filter enabled would notice censorship of all incoming and outgoing in-game communication. The prototype has been progressing a little slowly this weekend due to some poor documentation on an API handles the packet interception between the server and client receivers.

There is a lot that @jflory7 would need to look into (there are a lot of dependencies issues he would need to review to ensure it would even be compatible, since there are a lot of changes both upcoming and past with spigot/bukkit APIs), but if he and the staff get a chance to review it and think it could work, then we could have a solution. Though, it would take a while, because like everyone else, life.

(To clarify, players without the filter enabled would see all language etc. no filtering, players with it, would not -- players would control whether or not it is enabled)

• Creative Creative x 1
  15. JMW18

JMW18 Future software engineer Staff Member Moderator

I personally don't see how filtering derogatory words would "change the feel of the game". Therefore, I don't see an issue of filtering certain words to prevent future incidents of this occurring. While I do not want to tailor to the children's language, I also don't want to tailor to adult language. I would prefer this stays inclusive for everybody involved.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. GameLogicYT

GameLogicYT Member

Jacc734 has already found the perfect solution to the issue that doesn't censor language across the board, just like GolemClyde and I wanted. Just read the post above yours.

17. Jacc734

Jacc734 President Bacon

The prototype is coming along, needs some bug testing though.
    I'll pm what is required to test

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
    • Staff Approval Staff Approval x 1
  18. GolemClyde

GolemClyde New Member

I can see where some of them are coming from with not noticing a difference/not really caring, as they have claimed they do not often use words that would be filtered , or in a quantity that would filter such. So here are my questions: "Would this filter affect private chat?", and "Would this filter affect game items?".

19. Jacc734

Jacc734 President Bacon

@GolemClyde thanks for your interest.

"Would the filter affect private chat?"
    - Its per a player. If a player chooses to enable the filter, any and all text that appears from the source into the chat window will be filtered. I designed the plugin with a target audience of someone who wanted to filter out certain words, full stop.

The per player part, if you don't use the filter you will notice zero difference. It doesn't block messages completely, only replaces filter-words with '.'

"Would this filter affect game items?"
    See the first answer, and note the filter does not change meta-data of game items. Though that would be a neat feature.
    Only people who use the filter will notice any difference - if you don't plan on using there is nothing to be concerned about.
    If you do plan to use the filter, then know only filter-words are replaced with '.' as they appear in the chat window. This takes place through packet manipulation the data is changed only after leaving the server, so technically nothing changes except for the specific user.
    Thus, player-specific filtering.

20. GolemClyde

GolemClyde New Member

It also seems, that it is directed completely at the chat window, so said filter would not affect ones books, or item names. I have some follow up questions.

Firstly, Can a user of the filter, personalize their filter, so some but not all "standard filter" filtered words are filtered.
    Potential follow up question Could they then perhaps be able to add new words to their filter?

Secondly, Could the icon '.' be replaced at a "by the player" degree, so that it could change CussX into "puppyfied"((Or such assorted cute/crazy nonsensity))

Thirdly, in an essence, is your plugin acting like a filtering layer, at a per the player choice, between input (A-Z) into the chat portion of the program on player side, altering selected words into the desired icon, as fits within the bounds of the chat rules.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.