1. Welcome to the CrystalCraftMC website and forums, guest! If you are signing up to get Member, please use your EXACT Minecraft username as your website username to get the Member rank!

State of CrystalCraftMC: 1.9 update, End reset, the cloud, policy changes, new staff, and more

Discussion in 'Official News & Announcements' started by jflory7, Mar 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jflory7

jflory7 A Purple Jukebox Staff Member Founder Sysadmin

Hello CrystalCrafters!

It’s been a long time since we’ve had a new front page post, as I’m sure many of you have noticed. This has mostly been because of the fact that I’ve been tied up much more than usual over the past few months. However, thanks to the awesome staff team at CCMC, things have gone strong and they have helped keep things running.

In this post, we’re going to cover many hot topic items. This thing called Minecraft 1.9 happened not too long ago, an important policy on mods and TeamSpeak3 has changed, voting is temporarily broken, there’s a new survival server activity coming, and we have a few new members on the CCMC team! There’s also cool new ways for you to help contribute to CCMC.

1.9 Update
    If you logged on in the past week or two, you’ve already noticed that the server is running Spigot 1.9. So now, you have all the goodies and new features of 1.9 to play around with in the survival and creative servers. The original update happened with little announcement beforehand and happened very suddenly, and for that, I would like to apologize. It was a little bumpy at first, but I’m happy to report that the update happened with only minor issues.

As new Minecraft versions always go, there’s a few new things that have changed, and there’s a few things you should know.

End Update
    If you have paid attention to the 1.9 features, you will notice that the End had a major rewrite. There are now multiple End islands with multiple mobs, items, and more. Our End world was last generated on June 11th, 2015. As a result, many areas near the original, main island are already generated. To best take advantage of the new features of 1.9, we are planning a full, total reset of the End in one week from today.

THE END IS RESETTING ON SUNDAY, MARCH 27, 2016 AT 21:00 US EST!

Make sure you have moved out any items and closed up any bases you have in the End. Hopefully, this will be the only time we ever have to do a full End reset.

"I have a bedrock vault!"
    For the small handful of people with bedrock vaults in the End, don’t worry about moving out of your vault. At the time of the reset, vaults are copied out of the End, and then pasted back in after the reset in the same coordinates. You shouldn’t notice any issues when trying to reach your vaults.

Hack prevention and other bugs
    Since dual-wielding items and flying around with an elytra are possible, this introduces all kinds of new behavior into the server than previous updates. Because of this, there are several small, tedious bugs in our anti-cheat protection that we are having to wait to be fixed. As a result, things like flying with an elytra, towering up with blocks, and a handful of other issues are problematic on the server.

Many of these issues just need some minor tweaking on my part to get working, and I have applied some changes to the configuration this weekend. However, other things, like flying and towering, need advanced functionality on the part of our anti-cheating plugins. We will have to wait for future updates before things like this are added in. For now, the server staff asks for your patience while we wait for updates. Hopefully we will get some of the coolest parts of 1.9 integrated and working soon. If you meet any other odd glitches, feel free to make a thread on the forums reporting it and we can try seeing if we can tweak the configuration.

Downtime last week
    Last week, we also had an extended period of total downtime, unrelated to the 1.9 update. Some of you may have noticed this problem, where data was not saving and you couldn’t seem to use any chests or items.

This problem stemmed from the fact that our hard drive became full and ran out of room. As a result, data wasn’t saved to the hard drive in this period, and the only things that were actually changing were happening in the RAM of the server. As a result, when the server eventually crashed, this data was lost and there was a rollback. I was unable to get to the server at the time and it took me a while to get things fixed and working again. The cause of the issue was my method of taking methods. I was doing full, total backups of the server every week, which generated a large amount of data for servers like the survival server, which is around 80GB of data now.

To help prevent this kind of situation in the future, I have taken two steps to prevent this. I have found a tool called duply that allows me to make incremental backups over full backups. What this means is that instead of taking a full backup every week, it will now take one full backup periodically, and then make smaller, incremental backups every week after. This drastically saves room and actually allows me to make more frequent backups.

This has already been implemented on all the servers for the past week and a half. I’ve tested this method and found it to work very well.

Additionally, to take it one step forward, I have also started taking backups of the smaller servers into the cloud! As a student, I have a good amount of credits for Amazon Web Services (AWS). I have set up a server to handle remote backups for most of our network. This allows greater flexibility for our backups and covers the possible instance where the hard drive on the server fails. The first backups on AWS began on Friday for all the smaller servers. I am investigating the possibilities of including the survival server to the cloud, but I am still researching costs and other factors for large data like this. For now, the backups for the survival server are happening locally on the server.

In short, these preventative efforts not only help preserve data integrity for the CCMC network, but will also help prevent issues like this arising again in the future. This is a series of improvements I am planning on making to helping optimize and improve the infrastructure of the CCMC network.

Policy changes
    There are also two formal policy changes we would like to discuss at this time, one dealing with using mods and the other with interactions on TeamSpeak3.

All game-altering modifications banned
    For many years, the official CrystalCraftMC policy on modifications and alterations to the Minecraft client has been Optifine and minimap mods. Optifine is an essential mod for many players, and only affects the graphics and rendering capabilities of a player’s client. For this reason, Optifine is still permitted on the server.

However, the scene for minimaps has changed drastically. For many of us who have played Minecraft for years, minimaps have been a stable modification to the game that we use and depend on for easy navigation and convenience. As a former user of the now abandoned Rei’s Minimap, I understand that as much as anyone.

But the world of Minecraft 1.9 is not the world of Minecraft 1.2 or 1.3, when we first defined this policy. A lot of things have changed and minimaps now have features like cave finders, entity trackers, and player trackers. These features alone almost simulate x-ray in how they can be used. For a long time, we have permitted players to use minimaps under the “promise” that those features are turned off. Some minimaps did not offer that functionality enabled out of the box. However, this is no longer true. Minimaps have features that are full-blown mods that offer unfair advantages to players that choose to use them. This may come as a disappointment.

As of today, all uses of minimaps on the server are hereby prohibited and fall under the jurisdiction of Rule #3.

Any use of minimaps will be treated the same as using a modded client, and you will be temporarily suspended from the server if you use them.

I am disappointed we have to do this, but there is no other choice. This decision was made in the best interest of the community and our players to prevent people from using cave finders or player trackers from unfairly raiding bases or taking advantage of tools that a player with a normal client could not use.

Please note this takes effect immediately from this day forward. No exceptions will be granted.

TeamSpeak3 usernames
    It has become a problem on TeamSpeak3 where some players use names that belong to other users or use inappropriate names. This can be confusing to others in the community and to staff members when trying to find out who users are. In the interest of solving this problem, we have come up with a new rule.

You are now required to use the same TeamSpeak3 username as your in-game Minecraft username.

If you are not doing this already, you will first be issued a warning to change your name by a server staff member. If you do not comply, by default, you will be banned from the server for five days (this can vary depending on the compound punishment clause mentioned on the Server Rules page). Continued violation of this rule after a ban will result in longer bans or possible permanent suspension from using TeamSpeak3.

MobArena
    In this thread, @Ender_Goblin mentioned the idea of starting a mob arena minigame on the survival server for players to take part in. MobArena is a popular plugin that lets server administrators create arenas for players to fight waves and waves of mobs. You can choose from a variety of classes to fight with. After the game, you are awarded a range of prizes based on how well you did.

I have some experience with mob arenas in the past and wanted to see if it were possible to carry this out in CrystalCraftMC. I talked with some of the staff last night about working on this, and there was a positive reception towards the idea. We are already working on making progress towards creating our first arena and configuring the waves. Hopefully this is something we can start in the near future on the survival server, and I intend to keep the community updated as we make progress. Stay tuned for more updates!

Voting problems
    Voting has not been working as expected ever since our server moved locations. This is happening for a number of reasons. The server is sitting in a unique site on my university campus, and it sits behind a special firewall. The firewall it sits behind is not managed by me and has had a few issues since we moved in. Unfortunately, the port used for voting seems to be blocked and neither myself nor the managing team of the firewall are able to find the issue.

I am working on trying to find a possible fix for this in any way I can, but it is proving more difficult than I anticipated. Should any news or changes happen with voting, I will update the front page with that announcement.

Voting is an important factor that helps get our server discovered by new players. Even though voting does not work for receiving prizes, it is still greatly appreciated if you do your part and help vote for the server to boost our place in the rankings. Thanks to all of our players who have voted despite not receiving prizes for it anyways.

Find us on GitHub!
    CrystalCraftMC has a small development team that has featured the likes of @Jacc734, @Jwood9198, myself, and a handful of other contributors. We write plugins based on the Bukkit/Spigot API in the Java programming language. You can find a list of all of our plugins and their code on https://github.com/CrystalCraftMC/https://github.com/CrystalCraftMC/.

If you are a programmer and want to help give to the server, you are encouraged to browse through the list of our own projects. If you find anything that seems interesting or you might want to contribute to, feel free to contact @jflory7 with ideas for how you can help or send pull requests. We’d be happy to have members of the community join the coding team!

Check out our work on GitHub.

New staff members
    On Friday, CrystalCraftMC welcomed two new staff members to the family. We’re happy to announce @dellman135 and @Natzic as our newest Trial-Mods. Please give them a warm welcome to their new staff positions! We are excited to have them join our ranks and we are looking forward to working on some new and awesome projects like the MobArena for the community.

Final note
    While writing this post, I realized that this year is going to mark our fourth year of being a community. Four years is a long time. Especially for a Minecraft server. I’m excited to be hitting this milestone together with everyone as we push ahead towards our anniversary and beyond. CrystalCraftMC is something I’m very proud of, and none of it would be possible without incredible members of our community, our awesome donors, and our absolutely fantastic staff.

Thanks for all the good times and for flying CCMC Air! Looking forward to making 2016 another killer year for us.

Cheers,
    - @jflory7 and the CCMC Staff​

• Winner x 4
    • Informative x 4
    • Like x 3
    • Funny x 1
    • Friendly x 1
  2. dellman135

dellman135 Prune Juice.

Thank you so much once again! Very honored.

3. Natzic

Natzic Natzic.exe has stopped responding. Sysadmin

Thank you, its very nice to be back. :)

4. Material_

Material_ Community Blacksmith

Is BuyCraft still broken?

5. MCMCaveman

MCMCaveman Well-Known Member

I need clarification regarding the "All game-altering modifications banned", because I do not want to get in trouble again... are you saying absolutely no mods of any kind will be allowed except for optifine? Because your post was being directed only towards minimap mods. I use several mods in-addition to VoxelMap: Dynamic Lights, Extra Achievements, Schematica, TooManyItems, LunatriusCore, and CodeChickenCore, all running through Forge and LiteLoader.

6. iDEVLMAN

iDEVLMAN Member

Quite the set up you have there. I run a very nice vanilla frame. Nothing but Optifine and a texture pack.

7. CanadianSpark

CanadianSpark That guy

Yes we are trying to fix it.

8. dellman135

dellman135 Prune Juice.

ONLY Optifine. PERIOD. Nothing else is permitted on CrystalCraftMC.

9. Natzic

Natzic Natzic.exe has stopped responding. Sysadmin

Only Optifine. :)

10. _stevoism_

_stevoism_ Web activity of OVER 9000! Staff Member Administrator

Most of which you listed(without talking to staff) were never approved. But as the T-mods said, only optifine now.

Looks like you can cofound the club then huh? xD

11. jflory7

jflory7 A Purple Jukebox Staff Member Founder Sysadmin

Sadly, it is, but it was because they updated their plugin to a new major version and then did a poor job of communicating that. I have to reconfigure everything from scratch, so it's taking me longer than expected to get it working. Note, I do have records of everyone who has purchased something over the past few days and I intend to get these awarded ASAP!

Yes, this will include all mods with no exceptions. Normally, I would not have a problem with some of these, but the problem is that now it's hard for us to review screenshots or other punishments fairly when some hacked clients are disguised as "legitimate" mods and other non-obvious tools, and there's no actual telling what a player is using when they use mods that are noticeable from the screen. For those reasons, we are blanket-covering all mods now and in the future except Optifine. I'm sad it's come to that, but unfortunately, it's the safest bet to make now in the world of Minecraft 1.9.

12. Saphiria

Saphiria Active Member

What about MCPatcher? Its the same thing as Optifine?

13. MCMCaveman

I brought this up with @jflory7 last night. I'll wait for his official response.

14. Saphiria

Saphiria Active Member

Okay, thanks!

15. Saphiria

Saphiria Active Member

@jflory7, any news on MCPatcher? What about Shaders Mod?

16. MCMCaveman

Shaders are part of Optifine nowadays.

17. Saphiria

Saphiria Active Member

But, not all seem to be working.

18. dellman135

dellman135 Prune Juice.

Buycraft is back online and working for anyone curios.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.