1. Welcome to the CrystalCraftMC website and forums, guest! If you are signing up to get Member, please use your EXACT Minecraft username as your website username to get the Member rank!

Recommendations for a Screen Recorder

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Etho_, Apr 4, 2015.

1. Etho_

Etho_ Member

Hey guys, Draz/Etho here. I've been having troubles finding a screen recorder for Minecraft, and I don't know if I want to buy one, or just download a free one.

Off Topic Question: I've been watching some people's videos like Jflory, Echo, and Caveman, and I was recently watching Jflory's latest video and he had his new screen capture. Does anyone know what recorder he uses and if you do is it free?

Now getting back to the original topic, what are your recommendations for screen recorders I could use for Minecraft videos?

2. McMorkey

McMorkey Active Member

If you're using a PC, the best free option is bandicam, however the free version can only record up to ten minutes at once.

If you're using a Mac then it comes in with a built in screen recorder called Quicktime or something.

3. MattDude234

MattDude234 Arch-Enemy of Seagulls

I heard fraps is good, but it's somewhere around $40 I think.

4. Etho_

Etho_ Member

Same thing with Bandicam. I have Bandicam installed, but I didn't buy it. I don't know if I should buy it because I don't know if my parents would let me. And yes, I still live with my parents... Gosh. Anyways, I'm thinking about asking them if I can get 40 dollars out of the bank and purchase Bandicam.

5. McMorkey

McMorkey Active Member

Only buy it if you plan on recording more than ten minutes at once.

6. Etho_

Etho_ Member

I do plan on doing more than ten minutes at once, at least 20 or 25 minutes.

7. MCMCaveman

MCMCaveman Well-Known Member

I use FRAPS, and yes i bought the full program. You can only record for 30 seconds with the unregistered version. FRAPS is the "cheepest" pay version with free life-time updates. I use it because it is simple and has little to configure.

There are ALOT of screen recorder programs, but I have no idea what all the others have to offer. It's a matter of doing a Google search and homework of what you want versus how many money you want to spend.

But screen recording is only half the work. You also need to have a video editing program. I use AVS4YOU suite for most of my video, photo, and audio editing/creating.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2015
  8. Etho_

Etho_ Member

Yeah, I use Windows Movie Maker to edit my videos. I record 1 10 minute clip for the episode, then I record another 10 minute clip, then add them together. It's not the most efficient way of doing it, but it works, kinda.

9. jflory7

jflory7 A Purple Jukebox Staff Member Founder Sysadmin

I use FOSS (free, open-source software) called recordMyDesktop (http://recordmydesktop.sourceforge.net/about.php). As far as I know, it only is supported on Linux.

10. Etho_

Etho_ Member

I see that it's .tar.gz at the end of the download. What do you need to be able to open it?

11. jflory7

A .tar.gz is just a compressed archive. I can't remember what programs for Windows handle that kind of thing. I think it's 7zip? I'm not sure — but it's one of those type of programs.

12. MCMCaveman

7zip... one of the best zip/unzip programs and it is free.

13. jflory7

Does it also handle Gunzip (.gz) archives?

14. MCMCaveman

Dont know. I had never heard of that extension before tonight.

15. Etho_

Etho_ Member

I don't think it handles Gunzip. I mean, it said GZip, but I don't know if that's the same.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. LordRamHorns

LordRamHorns New Member

Their is a really good recordng software that can also live stream, it is called OBS standing for Open Broadcaster Software. I use it, it is really good. Heard its as good as fraps. Good thing is it is free!
    OBS: https://obsproject.com

17. jflory7

Yep, they're the same! Should be able to extract it.

Ooh. Ooohhh. I'm going to check this out. It supports Linux! :D

18. Etho_

Etho_ Member

Too bad there's no good tutorials on this. I tried 7Zip yesterday, I had no luck with it... :p

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2015
  19. MCMCaveman

After installing 7-Zip; you would just right-click on the .gz file, then click "Open with...", then Browse for the 7-Zip program, and finally check the box to make it the preferred program to always open that extension. It should open properly from then on.

I forgot about this. I will be looking into this because I have been having issues with my broadcasting to Twith.TV for the past two-ish weeks.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2015
  20. Etho_

Etho_ Member

I decided not to download 7 Zip or the recordmydesktop. I may do it another time, but I got a new recorder called Debut Video Capture. It's really cool.

• Informative Informative x 1