1. Welcome to the CrystalCraftMC website and forums, guest! If you are signing up to get Member, please use your EXACT Minecraft username as your website username to get the Member rank!

Play-by-post D&D Game?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Cragnarok, May 10, 2017.

1. FootMonkii

FootMonkii Active Member

I would actually like to play but I believe with my current life situation I won't be able to. Nothing wrong has happened but I'm preparing to get a new job and I'm still trying to work out how I can continue playing with my current D&D group without things clocking heads. :(

2. _stevoism_

_stevoism_ Web activity of OVER 9000! Staff Member Administrator

on that note @Cragnarok what is your expected response time per action?

3. Cragnarok

Cragnarok Active Member

4. Cragnarok

Cragnarok Active Member

Pretty quick at the moment, might change depending on work situation.

5. JMW18

JMW18 Future Programmer, hopefully. Staff Member Moderator

I wouldn't mind playing if somebody could explain what the game is, what it consists of and how to play lol.

6. Wonckay

Wonckay Member

Basically you have the players and the Dungeon-master (DM). The DM sets up a campaign/story for the players to run through and narrates. Throughout the game the players interact with the world, make decision, get into combat etc. Whether an action taken by a player is successful is usually determined by their character's stats and dice rolling. For example, your party is in a dark cave and you decide to try and look around for monsters - you might add up your perception stat and then roll a "d20" (Dice that goes from one to twenty) and add the two together. If the number you get meets the DM's set value for success, you might see there's a monster inside, if not you might not. There are different dice for different situations, but you can find a rolling simulator that has them all at https://www.wizards.com/dnd/dice/dice.htm. The whole adventure continues in this choose-your-own-y way until you succeed or everyone dies.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Cragnarok

Cragnarok Active Member

Ok, so I've posted a link to the 5e handbook above. What I need first from everyone is the race and class they'd like their character to be. Don't worry about names yet or background details, anything like that. I'll work with each of you with your characters to establish a bit of backstory within the campaign world. Post your character choice so we can continue.
    For example: Halfling Rogue, Dwarf Cleric, Elf Barbarian, etc.

8. JesterCopperpot

JesterCopperpot Active Member

Would we play the ACTUAL game in the messages so we dont get confused with outside interferance?

9. Cragnarok

Cragnarok Active Member

The game will be played in forum posts. we'll create a thread separate from this one that will be for gameplay.

10. DrVonAwesome

DrVonAwesome Staff Member Trial Moderator

I want to join. Sorry somehow missed this thread!

11. _stevoism_

I guess DrVon (not that I can permit / prohibit you)

12. _stevoism_

The way I see it happening is a lot of edited posts lol. Really all you need to ignore are the other peoples posts. I like the idea of in forum playing cause it actually increase foot traffic but we should prob set an official response format/color

13. _stevoism_

Talking in character
    Talking out of character

Turn formatting:
    Action 1: move/attack/ect
    Action 2: move/attack/ect
    Bonus Action: If applicable by character

something like that @Cragnarok as a copy / paste when its your turn, thoughts? color or formatting for in/out character.
    I feel it is a given but lv1 start up correct?
    Do you auto confirm crits or re-roll to confirm?
    coin weight or no? normal is 50 coins 1 lb or weightless
    Can you give us a story plot? or is it in that previous link and I missed it

14. _stevoism_

Hi all those who are playing, I've picked the fighter class, not that you cant, just letting everyone know so we can attempt a balanced adventure group :D

edit: I may switch to barbarian idk yet xD

Last edited: May 26, 2017
  15. JesterCopperpot

I picked bard :)

16. Cragnarok

Cragnarok Active Member

@DrVonAwesome you're welcome to join of course! Let me know what class/race you'd like to play.

As for format, we can do posts this way:

Yellow is out of character dialogue (keep to a minimum. Use for questions, clarifying, etc.)
    Green is for character dialogue, combat actions, checks, etc.

I wouldn't worry too much about listing the actions, etc. Just tell me what you're doing on your turn (I'll clarify what you're able to do each turn since not everybody has played or is familiar with 5th Edition rules). Don't worry, I've been playing D&D for 25 years and DMing almost as long. I'll help things run smoothly.

We'll start at Level 1, yes. No coin weight. Story will be posted in the play thread once character gen is finished for everyone. I'll be PMing each of you about your characters so you can build them and their backstory.

So, as it stands, we have @_stevoism_ playing a fighter, and @JesterCopperpot playing a bard. Race and gender?

17. JesterCopperpot

IM a male halfling bard I have the majority of my player sheet finished

18. Cragnarok

Cragnarok Active Member

Don't get too far ahead on the player sheet. I have form-fillable ones we'll be using.

19. _stevoism_

I pulled some random filler one offline and gave it to jester to use but I'm glad there's one you trust cause they can be wrong lol. Have a link to your fillable one?
    Male - tiefling - fighter - CN

20. Cragnarok

Cragnarok Active Member