1. Welcome to the CrystalCraftMC website and forums, guest! If you are signing up to get Member, please use your EXACT Minecraft username as your website username to get the Member rank!

October News: Fall Fair, Ranks, Your Homes, Borders, and More

Discussion in 'Official News & Announcements' started by jflory7, Oct 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jflory7

jflory7 A Purple Jukebox Staff Member Founder Sysadmin

Hey CrystalCrafters,

It’s that time of the month for a front page post. This month, we actually have a lot to report, so you’re definitely going to want to read all of this one!

Fall Fair
    For the past two weeks, the CCMC Staff and the one and only MinecraftBrookie, have been cooperatively working on one of the biggest events we have ever coordinated! Thanks to all of the amazing staff helping run the server on a daily basis, we are planning to have some festive fun to celebrate the bringing in of autumn!

We are planning to host a full on fair / carnival for all of players to visit and participate in! We’re already getting in the spirit for Halloween, as you’ve probably been able to tell if you’ve seen spawn! However, there is so much more being planned as well! We are putting together a fairgrounds for you all to come and visit. Here, we will have all kinds of things for you to do, such as a haunted house, minigame booths, mazes, and more! Plus, most of this events will have some awesome prizes involved as well, so you’re definitely not going to want to miss out!

Store Reopening
    Edit
    : The store is currently not open yet, but it will visible in the next 48 hours!

After almost two months of the store being offline, I have made the decision to reopen our Shop again. With this, the old ranks have been retired, and we have introduced an entirely new class of ranks for you to purchase and check out. With these comes new commands and abilities that weren’t included in the old ranks, so it’s definitely worth checking out! See more about them here.

As for our current donors, there won’t be much changing except for one thing. In one week’s time, we will be phasing out the /back command in all of its entirety. This decision was made for a multiple number of reasons, and it is definite. Outside of this, all of the old donor ranks will remain exactly the same for the amount of time they were purchased for.

Also worth noting is a change in the duration of server ranks. Instead of lasting for six months as before, all of the new ranks (except Immortal) will last for four months. Immortal will last for a year. This decision was not one made easily, and I have put a lot of thought into this decision. Our server is not a large server, and because of that, we don’t receive as many purchases in the store as other servers might. "Making money" has never been the primary motivation in me running CrystalCraftMC, but it does pay the bills and allows us to keep the server running. This is why I have made this decision, and I’m hoping it should help ensure our long-term security as a Minecraft server in light of all of the crazy things that have been happening over the past few months.

We will also be offering a conversion system for all current donors to change ranks to the new system. The old ranks can be converted to the closest equivalent rank in the store. For example, the old Heros can be converted to Caesars. If you are a Commander, you can be converted to an Oracle, and so on and so forth. As an incentive for converting, we will automatically add on one free month of the new rank that you choose to convert to. So, if you have one month left of your current rank, you can have it boosted to two months, or if you have six, you can get it boosted to seven months. This promotion will only be offered until December 1st, so if you want your rank converted, please contact jflory7 on the forums.

Your Homes
    A small change but an important one nonetheless: we are going to make the default spawn location after death the server spawn. This is being done to prevent people from “spawnkilling” someone by their bed in their base. This way, a player who might have lost their home otherwise now will be sent to spawn each time they die, and if they choose to return to the dangerous home location, they have to type the command to go there.

If you use beds to respawn, please consider registering for an additional /home or clearing room from your other /homes. This shouldn’t affect most of you, but if you are affected, please make sure you have your homes in order by one week from this post date.

World Borders
    I doubt you expected to see this in discussion so soon, but I think it’s in a way that most of you will like. Sometime in late November, I am planning on changing our server plan to a different provider in order to cut back on costs and save money to help keep the server running for a long time to come.

One of the biggest things that will be different is that we will be getting a bigger hard drive! We will be using a 1TB hard drive, so we can once again open discussion to world borders and what you want the limits of the borders to be. While I am open to changing the border distance, I am NOT willing to expand the border beyond 15,000,000 blocks. This should be more than enough for most of you, if you are in favour of a larger border.

Please comment with your thoughts on world borders in this thread so I can begin gauging the public interest for what people want.

New Staff
    I am pleased to announce that the CCMC Staff team has never been stronger, with the rejoining of our former admin @Raeganrr123 to the team and the promotion of all of our former Trial-Mods to full Moderator positions! Congrats to all of the new moderators, @BlackDiamond31, @321MCBlaster, @UltimateAFS, and @xtylorx! They have all earned their positions as moderators, and I hope you join me in congratulating all of them!

As I was telling the staff the other night, things are much more fun on the server when we have more staff to help coordinate fun events and activities. :)

New 1.8 Items Added
    This morning, I updated the server to add more 1.8 items, such as armor stands, 1.8 enchantments and anvils, craftable banners, jump potions, and naturally spawning rabbits. Also, there were more fixes added to bugs in the plugin that may have prevented you from interacting with some items, like muttons. This should be fixed now, but if not, please let me know!

And that is everything going on this month! Wow, it was quite a mouthful. Hopefully you are all just as excited as I am for this month, and make sure you check in frequently so you don’t miss any of the fun events!

Cheers,
    - jflory7 & CCMC Staff​

• Like Like x 4
    • Staff Approval Staff Approval x 1
  2. MCMCaveman

MCMCaveman Well-Known Member

When world borders were originally discussed, i was saying it should set to 10mil. But even at the current 500k, my massive 121x121 sky-to-bedrock hole has still not been found.

I am in favor of an expansion to either a 1mil or a 5mil world border.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Dextile

Dextile Member

NOOOOOOOOOO decrease the world border if anything! raiding is near impossible even with 500k x 500k. Please consider decreasing it to 50k x 50k or something more appropriate because its too large as it is.

4. jflory7

Looks like we may have to host some sort of official poll on this at a later date if there is a large diversity of opinions.

5. MCMCaveman

MCMCaveman Well-Known Member

I came and stayed here on CCMC because of the massive world. I came here from a server that was 25k by 25k and every other day everyone was getting raided. It was NO fun to play there. It took only 1 hour to travel from spawn to the world border in the overworld.

6. Dextile

Dextile Member

My vote still stays. This is a raiding server, and with a 500,000 block world border it is almost impossible to find a base worth raiding. I strongly think a smaller world border will add a whole new level of enjoyment and thrill to players. Honestly I see nothing wrong with a 25,000 (625,000,000 surface blocks) block border, still fairly large to allow builders peace and safety but also small enough to allow raiders to get some bases.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. McMorkey

McMorkey Active Member

I'm with Dextile on this one. I already feel this 500k world border is WAY too large, there are not ANY legit raids nowadays, all betrayals if any. That's no fun. Heck, even GIBS had to blow their own base up out of boredom. It's gotten to the point that some people have too much stuff. You can be fairly safe with a 25-40k border easily if you play it smart. If you want good builds then build them underground. This server should lower the border if it wants to consider itself a raiding server.

All in all: I'd strongly prefer a smaller world border. But if that's not possible, atleast don't increase it. 500k is already too large

Last edited: Oct 20, 2014
  8. FootMonkii

FootMonkii Active Member

Making the world smaller would be a disaster. The reason I came to this server was for bigger map and just plain freedom. Didn't come here necessarily for the destruction of some ones home.

9. InfiniteCorners

InfiniteCorners Commander of Blocks Staff Member

Owner
    I don't think restricting the size of the world any further is wise considering the only protection against raiding and griefing we offer is the ability to travel far. I think you guys are confusing not looking for bases with not being able to find them. While it is true that having to much gets boring and we decided to blow it all up and start over we didn't do it out of a lack of ability to find raids. We blew ourselves up because you guys apparently don't have the focus or determination to find us when we actually try to hide and we'd accumulated enough we really didn't want it back out into circulation. Without having to worry about the security of that stuff I was able to build a happy little base within 5k of spawn. Even posted the entire journey of us going there on our youtube- still no takers. For a month we kept all our diamonds and such in normal chests with an utterly conspicuous tree farm on top and no one has found us. It isn't because we went far or hid well- it was because no one came looking. We've found 3 raids since restarting and I know for a fact there are dozens of bases within 10k of spawn including the current GIBS one. We would very much like someone to find and raid us, we are making it as easy as possible, but you'll never find anyone if you don't go hunting.

Some people like the excitement offered by the possibility of being raided but still want to make mega-builds. Some players on here don't like raiding/griefing at all but do like the server and community. Do we allow raiding and greifing? We sure do. Is this a raiding server? Not really. CrystalCraft is a Semi-vanilla Survival server. Personally I like raiding and griefing but if someone wants to go out 300k and just make a huge farm then that can be their survival experience.

P.S. I wouldn't raise the border more than 100k and would only do so to increase the availability of the new stones.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. CodeBaka

CodeBaka Active Member

Yeah I have to say that it has got pretty boring without any raids happening but that doesn't mean we should shrink the server anymore, without any sense of comfort or safety its hard to get new players being a server in its self causes half the people who join to leave.Also as infinite had said it is a lack of determination that is the main reason lost of new players are in 5k-30k area of spawn only the long term members really ever go past that.So yeah of course good raids rarely happen they never get raided that why the stockpile good. I went around spawn and found 4 bases about a month ago I as a joke before built a house right under spawn before I got bored with it and packed it up that base was there 4 weeks.

11. McMorkey

McMorkey Active Member

I mentioned you guys blowing up your stuff because you weren't found. Not because you couldn't find any. It is virtually impossible to find a good raid that isn't a dirt hut or a players start off base. And there's no fun in raiding a players abandoned spawn base or start up base. Be realistic, a base that is within random coordinates between 100 and 500k on both x and z , underground, and well hidden is impossible to find using legit methods.
    I'm not pleading for a lower world border. However i do believe it'd make the server more fun, and spice things up a bit. BUT I am pleading for you to not expand the world size. 500k is already ridiculously large. There would be no reason to extend it, if it is for the generation of new blocks, then i'm all for a small 50-100k addition, but none of that in the millions bologna.

12. thunder_rain

thunder_rain Member

We shouldent decrease the world border because i think new players would get raided then leave filled with rage and never come back. But i really dont care about the border because i have a bedrock vault, but im sure players who dont wouldent like decreasing it.

13. Dextile

Dextile Member

New players usually build within 10,000 blocks of spawn so what difference would it make? If they joined with the knowledge this is a raiding server, they would probably also build a hidden base, and have as much as a chance as any other player has of being raided. I'd like it decreased solely because raiding rarely occurs on this server, and whenever it does its a tp raid. I think a smaller border would help incite people to travel around looking for raids and make this server much more enjoyable.

14. FootMonkii

FootMonkii Active Member

Or stressful...

15. Bloktopus

Bloktopus Active Member

I'm in favor of keeping it at 500K or smaller. 200k would be around my lower acceptable limit.
    Beyond 500K, finding even a huge open air base would be basically mathematically impossible. Let alone 15 million!
    Part of the fun me and the rest of my team feel is the fact that is it remotely possible to be found (as well as the possibility of finding others).
    I don't see many established long term players demanding a bigger world. If you do decide to make a poll, maybe the votes of established longterm CCMCers should count heavier than the others given their experience and understanding of the server's history and culture.

16. Gafgarian420

Gafgarian420 New Member

When I initially saw the post about the world border size, I couldn't wait to see Infinite's response to it because I knew it was going to be fantastic. I was not disappointed.

I probably cannot do any better, but I'll share my experience and thoughts anyway.

For those who may not have been around at the beginning of GIBS time on the server, when we initially joined raiding wasn't something that we were looking to do. Although it was absolutely offered and encouraged just as much as it is now it was not at the forefront of what described Crystalcraft as a server. It's still isn't.

However, we quickly realized that raiding was a bit of a forte of ours and we've been doing it ever since. It did not take long for GIBS to become synonymous with raiding and griefing, with that however Crystalcraft, despite what GIBS does, is still not a raiding server.

This proves to be a tough position for server owners/admins to be in. As a survival semi vanilla server, raiding, or rather protection from, is not the immediate thought of most new users. But, at the same time, it is a definitive part of the multiplayer survival gameplay, and something all users should be aware exists and happens regularly on the server. The first question I see asked by almost every noob is, "is raiding and briefing allowed" and this is typically followed up by some discussion of the world border. Either as another question or general advice from our members. And, while world borders are not unusual in the SMP Minecraft world, a 500k border is on the cusp of too small vs too large, depending on the server type. Some see raiding + 500k as meaning no house will ever survive, which couldn't be farther from the truth, if you know how to, and are willing to, walk far and dig deep. However a noob may interpret the server description, the reality is that, for the vast majority of users, their bases are safe. Because as much as Crystalcraft encourages raiding, there is not a special emphasis put on capability of Raiders.

In the time that we have been on the server, I've since lost track of the actual number of homes that we have destroyed. The majority of those homes are found through cold searches. We have never been one to kill, or follow, noobs at spawn and in many cases we are guilty of helping them survive by teleporting them to one of our compass point homes 1000s of blocks out. You may say that on a server this size it is already difficult to find bases to raid, and you would not be wrong. However, with tenacity and perseverance it is absolutely possible.

That said, despite the reduced border size and tenacity, finding the bigger bases has proved more difficult over time. More hidden? Possibly. Farther from spawn? I'm sure. Difficult to find from a ground level position? Most definitely.

The world border's creation was not taken lightly and I personally had many conversations with Justin about it, and the size options. It was determined that a 500k border was a safe bet to appease all users of Crystalcraft and it has, for the most part.

However, what we're seeing from this post comments is that there is still a very real digression between those who play on Crystalcraft to build and survive and those who play on Crystalcraft to raid and destroy. It seems, that the general consensus, is that those who wish to only survive would like the world border extended, naturally. And those who exist only to raid, would like the world border minimized, also naturally.The arguments for extension, or not at all unreasonable. A larger hard drive would absolutely mean an ability to have a bigger world border and a bigger world border would absolutely mean that those who play for survival only will have much less of a chance of having everything that they've done on the server erased in less than an hour.conversely, those who exist only to destroy would naturally want a smaller world border in order to reduce the amount of blocks that they would have to cold search in order to find a base that is worth destroying.

This obvious duality is tough to remain partisan about, given my own interests. And, there is no clear "Victor" in this argument at all.that said, I do think there is a reasonable decision that can be made to, in a way, support both sides.and wow I already know Justin stance on this, I don't think that there is a better time to bring it up.

As a rule, when new players are looking for new servers to play on the larger the world is, typically, the more likely they are to check it out.large worlds are scarce in the multiplayer server environment because obviously they cost more money to maintain. I think that with a 500 K border we are limiting some of the potential new blood that would be interested in playing on the server. Because, while there are many servers that are much smaller on their borders, the 500 K border does exist on that split between a typical small world border and the larger servers that are more enticing for new blood.and if the new blood joints, who is not interested in playing on a server that allows raiding, a world border that is sitting on that cusp could be exactly the cause of them deciding to leave the server. However, for those interested in joining a server that allows raiding, a 500k world border can be daunting.

So do we decrease the world border size thus giving those interested in raiding more interest in the server or do we increase the world border size, which gives those interested in pure survival more interest, and possibly lose those interested in raiding?

Well, at the risk of this post becoming even longer, let's look at things economically. Those interested in raiding or pop make up the majority of those who purchase items in the shop.The donor packages are naturally more supportive for those who have an interest in traveling far distances quickly, surviving battles that they may not have otherwise, gathering riches beyond measure, etc. this is at no fault of any admin, there's just a limited amount of options that can be put into a donor package given the commands and items that are available within the game. A survival player, enters the server with the intention of grinding through stone in order to find all of those diamonds, a raiding player enters with the intention of doing what he needs to in the mine but spending most of his time destroying bases and stealing what the survival players have uncovered. Anything that helps him do that is of interest whereas a decreased footprint and visibility is really the only interest of the survival player. So how do we appease both sides?

Well, the easy answer for appeasing the survival players is to tack on a significant amount of blocks into the world border. Increase the world border from 500 K to 1 million, or even 2 million let's say, would do a lot to improve the initial impression of any person who is joining the server with the intention of only surviving and the hope that the fact that raiding is allowed won't affect them. Joining a server which has a limited or border already doesn't bode well in the mind of the survival player. Tack on that raiding is encouraged and now that 500 K world border, in the mind of the survival player, just became a 25K deathtrap. So we bump the world border to 2 million and now those new players ignore that rating is allowed because that world border is no longer a 25K deathtrap it i,s at minimum 100 K, oasis of safety.

So what about the Raiders? Increasing the world border naturally makes the Raiders job more difficult and in all of this, the Raiders do represent a decent slice of the member population of the server. So both new and existing raiding members should definitely not be ignored when it comes to the discussion of the world border. But, given that Crystalcraft has always been, and will always be, first and foremost, a survival server, the population of Raiders is naturally lower and influence, understandably, less. And, though they represent a smaller number they do represent a larger amount of general game time on the server, usually spent looking for bases to destroy. An increased world border will absolutely deter new raiders from joining...to a point. If there was supporting tools at their disposal, that may not be the case. Which leads me to my point.

Given that, in general, more and higher dollar purchases are made from the shops by those who call themselves Raiders. And given that a higher world border would discourage Raiders from joining at all. The solution, naturally, is to find the perfect balance between those two facts.we had one once. In the beginning of GIBS, our cold searches were much more fruitful because we had a tool at our disposal that allowed us to more easily, as long as we were willing to spend the time doing it, search for and find bases that may not have been as hidden as they should be on a server that allows raiding. At the moment, even with a 500 K world border, the biggest protection that a survival player has against a raider is the amount of blocks that are required to be searched simply by running across the world in random directions. This, even on a survival server, should not be the case if raiding is allowed and Raiders make up such a significant part of the membership. A players protection should be a healthy mix of randomness caused by the size of the world and ingenuity when it comes to playing Minecraft.The fact that a player can go to a random coordinate 300,000 blocks out and build a mansion above ground and think themselves completely safe on Crystalcraft should not be the case. However, a player going 1.5 million blocks out and doing the same, is absolutely acceptable.every Minecraft player, that plays on the survival server, enjoys the challenge. Whether that challenge be mining for all their materials in order to build that mansion completely from scratch in the survival based world or attempting to build that mansion with the knowledge that any time you can be destroyed by a random raider who happens to discover it. That last bit, is no longer part of the challenge of Crystalcraft. Given the world border size, and the population of active players on the server, the majority of builders are completely safe, regardless of their building style or gameplay ingenuity. The freshness of the server is lost on the completely diluted world size and the amount of active players within it.

Crystalcraft is a semi vanilla survival server. It has prided itself on the semi vanilla title. But, when you think about the options that a donor package gives a player, in many cases the semi vanilla portion of the gameplay is diluted even more then the ability to find players. This has been realized and corrected, in someways, with the removal of /back and the idea that everyone's home spawn location is now spawn. But, what of /WB or /EC, should the ability to craft an item without making a workbench first or access an ender chest in order to save your items that you might lose if you die at any time be allowed in a semi-vanilla server? It seems, to me, that there are several options in the store that, as donors, pure survival players have an upper hand. An even greater upper hand then a 500 K, or larger, world border may give them. Whereas, the Raiders, have very little in the donor shops, especially with the removal of /back, that is made to support the reason why they play the server. You can say that /jump allows for them to quickly get from place to place, and I would argue that /jump is still more of a survival perk than a raiding one. So I petition, here and now, that the discussion of the world border should play out like this. We should increase the world border to accommodate new players, and existing survival players, who may be hesitant about joining a server that allows raiding with a world border that still sits on that cusp of too small and acceptably large. And, in response to this, we should put back in the donor packages some type of quick travel method that allows Raiders to cover more ground for cold searching then just simply running across the world in random directions. Bring it back /jet or some other similar plugin.

There is no doubt that building within the Minecraft, especially on a survival server, is an artform. It is just as true, that raiding, if done properly, is just as much an art form. I, and other members of GIBS and I'm sure other raiding teams, have spent hours combing the Minecraft landscape for any sign of a person having been there. Sometimes the search proves fruitful, we see obvious signs that people have been there and we can follow those signs to their base. In most cases those hours of just simple gameplay give us nothing. Similarly, survival players have spent hours digging out massive infrastructures beneath the ground, and amassing hordes of wealth and ores with just a simple pick ax. A survival players enjoyment of the game is created by their own tenacity when mining and building. A raiding players enjoyment of the game is created by their own tenacity when searching for and destroying another person's creation. You can feel about that fact as you may, but it doesn't change that it is a fact and it is the reason why Raiders play on the server.

So to summarize, I can absolutely see both sides of the argument's point. However, since shrinking the world border is in and of itself a horrible idea, given the amount of players that would not play on the server at all because of the border limitation being smaller and because of raiding still being allowed and since increasing the world border without taking responsibility for the interest of the Raiders would be a very dumb idea I think the best solution is to meet in the middle. So you were moved /back. Great, now when we are raiding if we are killed by the person who is protecting their build, which is absolutely appropriate and expected, we have to hope that we set a home there or travel possibly thousands of blocks back to the base. I have no issue with this, I think that /back, in many cases, is way too OP for a survival server. It gives the ability for Raiders, like me, to be able to never let the builder have a chance to continue survival. However, what it also does is remove my ability to get back to the point where I just was and continue doing what I love to do in the reason why I play the game at all. This is similar to how an increased world border would give very real security to the survival player from people like me and at the same time make my, already stretched game time, even longer, or not at all, in order to find any bases, or give up entirely. So I think the addition of a quick travel type of mechanic that allows for cold searching or faster travel back to the location, since /back is no longer an option, is a natural addition to the donor packages to support the Raiders on the server.

Regardless of how you may feel about the semi vanilla title, the truth is that the options that are afforded donors in the shops benefit survival players far more than they benefit Raiders. A world border increase would only benefit them more. The argument should not be over whether to increase the size world, it should be how to properly balance both sides of the naturally opposing server population.

I think I'm done now, sorry for the length of this post obviously it's something that I'm very passionate about. I'll leave you with just this last thought, put back /jet and give the Raiders a reason to play on the server for hours on end while simultaneously increasing the world border and giving the survival players a reason to actually play survival.

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  17. Romulus1997

Romulus1997 Member

I wish i was still on minecraft have not been on in a long time (i doubt any one has noticed) but i should be back this week and i happy to hear that the world border is going to be much biger now i am very much excited for the fall fair.

• Like Like x 3
  18. SunfuryPSU

SunfuryPSU Member

Do not decrease the world border. There are way too many complex issues that will occur with a smaller border.

Yes, this is a survival server. Yes, your base can be found and raided but it shouldn't be a given. Finding a base should be a major (and rare) occasion. Decreasing the world border will simply create too much grief for long time players and new players alike.

Gaf's post is really accurate. The long term survival of the server is based MORE on survival than it is based on raiding. As typical with most online games, the MAJORITY of players (and money) come from casual to semi-casual players who enjoy the creative and more passive aspects of the game. Look at any major MMO like WoW or SWTOR: most of the players never PvP and certainly most don't ever raid. The majority of the player base enjoys playing with the more casual, creative and story aspects.

I am all for keeping raids alive and well (its a completely fair part of the game on this server as you all know). As I stated, however, decreasing the world border would be absolutely disastrous. Teams and players WILL leave the server. You can take that to the bank.

A minor increase would be appreciated but I will leave that up J to decide.

19. jflory7

Thanks for all of the responses, everyone. @Gafgarian420, that actually helped a good bit in terms of getting me to start brainstorming new ideas. I will post a future update regarding the world border some time in November, once I have more information.

20. InfiniteCorners

InfiniteCorners Commander of Blocks Staff Member

Owner
    Pfft- I say throw a full world reset at them and blame file corruption.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 3
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.