1. Welcome to the CrystalCraftMC website and forums, guest! If you are signing up to get Member, please use your EXACT Minecraft username as your website username to get the Member rank!

Future of the Nether / End

Discussion in 'Official News & Announcements' started by jflory7, Apr 24, 2014.

Should the Nether and the End be reset on a monthly basis?

1. Yes, once every two weeks

16 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. Yes, once a month

6 vote(s)
    15.0%
  3. No, keep them for as long as possible

18 vote(s)
    45.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jflory7

jflory7 A Purple Jukebox Staff Member Founder Sysadmin

Hello CrystalCrafters!

Today, I am posing an important question to all of you here in the community. As most of you have probably heard, travelling on top of the Nether (i.e. bedrock) has been disallowed since December 2013, when we ran out of hard drive space on our server.

Because of that, we have had to be strict on the way you use the Nether and the End because we have to make sure that we don't have a repeat of last December, when the hard drive ran out of room and there was a bit of downtime on the server.

However, we have an idea that may make a lot of you happy, and we want to see what the masses think of this idea before we make any final decisions.

Our idea was that if we reset the End and the Nether on a regular basis (either every two weeks or once a month), we can permit travelling on top of the Nether again for the players who preferred to use that as a way for travelling across the world. Again, I emphasize:

This would bring back Nether-travelling!

Now, depending on how things might go, it could be once a month, or if it's getting too big too fast, it could be once a week. We cannot know for certain yet until we allow it again. But we would like to give you all as much time as possible to enjoy the Nether and the End before they would reset.

I'll leave a poll in this post, but if you have more opinions, please weigh in with your opinions in this thread! Words mean more to us than numbers, and if someone does a good job of explaining one side, it could be the deciding point in a tiebreaker.

Thanks everyone!

- jflory7 and Staff

2. Zaccabee

Zaccabee Member

I wouldn't mind if I hadn't already built Blaze farms/ Ghast farms/ pigman farms ._. . . . . That's a lot of work! However, maybe a compromise could be made? Maybe allow admins to change pig spawners to blaze spawners via "/spawner Blaze" for a price of some sort?

3. BlackDiamond31

BlackDiamond31 Member

I think we should have resets for the nether and end rather then keeping the nether and end permanently. The end is mostly used for the popular end farms that let you get xp very fast. But there are many other ways of getting xp. One example is building a gold farm you can make the pigmen one hit kills and take the xp from them just like u would with end farms. Also If nether traveling is permitted it is much easier and less time consuming when you want to travel far in the map. Nether Traveling lets you be able to settle down and make a base and have FUN!! a lot quicker then having to travel in the overworld.

4. CodeBaka

CodeBaka Active Member

Its an odd idea i had but could you program it so with the hard drive passes a certain capacity that the would automatically warn the server that the nether well be resetting then after 2 hours or so the nether would be reset. Of course i understand it could be difficult to do but it could solve the problem for the date in which the nether needs to be set.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2014
  5. Dextile

Dextile Member

Personally, I would really love it if Nether travelling were to be brought back. It was a shame it had to go, but now is our chance to get it back, I vote For the return of nether travelling and the end and nether being reset every month, or so. The reasons i would like it back is because: Nether travelling allows players, such as you and me to explore far out distances and previously unexplored territories, it is also really easy to just go to the end and collect ender pearls, even if it resets on a monthly basis, like wise with the nether,except blaze rods instead of ender pearls and this cant be a real survival experience without players being able to go on top of the nether.

Nether travelling is a great thing because, some players, such as my self, love to build beautiful bases and giant red stone contraptions, but do not want to risk another player finding them and raiding/ griefing it. As that would be a huge shame, because working on something for hours, maybe even days on end and later finding out its all destroyed is heart breaking, and i am pretty sure most, if not all the other players would agree with me on that. Nether travelling would allow some one to travel from a place that is maybe 4,000 blocks out and re travel that 4,000 to make it to around 32,000 on the over world, or travel even farther if they are set up for it and really do not wish to have their precious base destroyed at the hands of a griefer.

Another reason i have voted for a monthly reset of the nether and end, for nether travelling is because many Crystal Craftians are capable of obtaining large amounts of exp without the use of an end farm, or a blaze farm, such as; Skeleton, zombie, spider and even gold farms. Some players however like the end and nether for only two resources, ender pearls and blaze rods. Both of those items are still extremely easy to obtain without the use of any farms, and still work perfect with a monthly reset of both the end and nether. So the majority of players would largely benefit from monthly resets of the end and nether for nether travelling to be re-allowed.

Most of the players on this server deeply miss the old times, the times back when Nether travelling was allowed, I happen to also be one of those many people. This can not be a pure survival experience without being able to do simple things such as travelling on top of the nether. Going on top of the nether does not even have to mean that your nether travelling, it is very easy to farm red and brown mushrooms up there as well, and depriving such loyal players of survival necessities like mushrooms just is not right. This is survival, let the players survive, let them encounter different environments such as the massive bed rock plateau on top of the nether.

Nether travelling should be re-allowed, it is a nessesary part in travelling out to very far distances, all of the resources are also still very easy to gather, even with a monthly reset of the end and nether and the top of the nether is part of the origanal game, and if this server stays true to being a vanilla, or even semi-vanilla aerver then going on top of the nether should be allowed for every player on this amazing server.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. todd5747

todd5747 Active Member

I don't care either way. I suppose its possible that without a semi-regular reset, resources like glowstone will slowly fade from the nether, except, the nether even at 1/8th the size of the overworld, is still Huge and therefore I bet there'd still be years worth of resources for players to seek out and find. Reading Dextile's comment, I really don't see why anyone would need nether travel, especially in a single player survival game. The only real reason anyone wants to use the nether travel is to get away from other players. I think there's something to be said for doing it the old-fashioned way. Real nether adventuring, or crossing land and sea with the armor and weapons to survive any and all mob threats you will encounter.

But in the end, I suppose it'll make lots of people happy, and that's what I'm about. XD

7. Purple_Drink

Purple_Drink Member

First i'm going to say that this is a serious matter to me. I was thrilled when nether-roof travel was banned.

With bases at 1,000,000+ and players with /tpa the raiding part of the server is just a crazy trust war. Furthermore, I don't think anyone should be completely safe in a raiding server. I could mind it before when you could nether-roof travel and /tpa but if the nether is reset regularly then that will just be another part of vanilla minecraft that we sacrifice.

Traveling is fun, raiding bases is fun, making bases is fun, and yeah being raided isn't fun. But if the distance you make your base at is limited to your patience then there'll be a whole lot more of those things, and three out of four isn't bad.

8. MCMCaveman

MCMCaveman Well-Known Member

My vote would be to reset JUST the Nether on a regular basis (every 1-2 weeks). Nether top traveling is the only way for other players to attempt to get to the StoneSwords and the GIBS bases.

May i ask why the End would need to be reset constantly? Not that i have anything built in the End, but my view is that if someone where to take the time and effort to travel in the void to build a very resource expensive enderman xp farm, then let the End be left alone. The End island can easily be restored without restting the entire End, if it gets too used. (If individual players will loose their enderman farms in the End, would a grief protected xp farm, made by staff and available to everyone, throw the balance of the game off too much to be feasible in the End?)

Fyi, in 1.8 the Nether will NO LONGER have a 30 million travel distance, there WILL be the impassible world border at 3,750,000 blocks to correspond to the 1/8 ratio of the overworld world border. I haven't read anything that says if the world border for the End is going to be adjusted to less than 30 million.

Also, if the End does get reset constantly, wouldn't that be alot of work for the staff to have to re-insert the End Store, the End Arena, and the Admin base every time? Or does that mean that the Admin base MUST reside in the overworld as well, like the rest of the players?

9. Purple_Drink

Purple_Drink Member

I don't think anyone was really searching for the StoneSword base much less the GIBS base. If anyone ever finds the SS base it'll be because they thought your taiga or what ever it is you live in looked like a nice spot to settle. Even if you knew the SS base location down to the million as well as what side of the world it was on you'd be running around for a long, long time before you got lucky.

I'm sure it takes a lot to gain the trust of team Stone Sword but I'm willing to bet my end chest that there are people who could and would try to exploit that trust. With that being said, if nether-roof travel is the only way for people to reach the SS base it's because nether-roof travel was allowed in the first place.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. bwoopie

bwoopie Active Member

Well.. I think it's a fine idea I just don't like the point of the farms. To me, I don't Nether travel. But I will disagree on just the farms because most people have farms more than traveling on the Nether. I am glad you took what they didn't like and tried to improve it. Thanks for that <3 My vote would be no. :c

11. MCMCaveman

I feel that i need to inform players of the long-term benefits to having weekly, bi-weekly, or monthly Nether (excluding the End) resets:

1) obviously, Nether top travel would be possible again.

2) hugh distances can be travelled very quickly via Nether top (only about 104 hours on a horse going a average of 10 blocks per second OR only about 52 hours with /jump to reach the ratio coordinates of the Farlands).

3) all the hard drive space that explodes in size with long-distance Nether travel will always and constantly be removed when a reset happens, therefore keeping the server running smoother.

4) the Overworld will remain a smaller size on the server hard drive, due to much less world chunks being wastefully rendered when travelling in the Overworld, and therefore again making the server run even smoother.

5) if everyones bases are "forced" to be in one less dimension, instead of across all three of the dimensions, then finding other players will be 33% "easier".

6) Nether Quartz resources will never be consumed, which will help players out when making the three new stone blocks in 1.8, because players will have to do even more travelling to find un-rendered Overworld areas to collect the new stones.

So in conclusion, please vote FOR Nether resetting. It's good for the server in the long-run, and i plan on being here for a long time.

Thanks,
    the Caveman

Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. InfiniteCorners

InfiniteCorners Commander of Blocks Staff Member Administrator

I'm with Caveman on this one- I didn't think the end has/would hit a point where the file size would really be big enough to be considered important- am I wrong? Ultimately I'm not heavily invested either way. I will say I've spent the time since the Nether was reset bridging out in the End so if it started getting reset that would amount to a lot of wasted time.
    Without knowing the actual size of the files I'd like to see the End stay so there is somewhere safe and separate from the over world to build a vault in.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Zaccabee

Zaccabee Member

Option 4, get more hard drive space, don't reset the nether, AND allow nether travel :3

14. CypressXM

CypressXM Member

I'm against resetting the nether/end.

Fast Nether travel is still possible, it just takes pickaxes. We maintain a nether highway system of our own for that express purpose. With an efficiency IV diamond pickaxe you can sprint full speed while cutting a tunnel through the netherack. Just mine down to bedrock, pick your direction and start sprinting. That's almost the same speed as on top of the nether, but it consumes pickaxes.

I'd hate to lose all the work I've put into my nether farms. I was planning a huge construction in the nether, also.

• Like Like x 2
  15. McMorkey

McMorkey Active Member

I'm against resetting the end/nether as well,
    I myself have not built anything meaningful in either yet, but i know many have spent countless hours building their ghast, blaze , or end farms. If people want to travel in the nether, to reach maximum safety, let them work for it rather than letting them AFK travel; So in conclusion, i believe keeping the nether and end permanently the way they are is far more important than allowing a select few to simply travel faster.

• Like Like x 1
  16. jflory7

Okay, wow, everyone! Thank you so much for all the diverse range of opinions. This really makes it easier for me to see where the playing field is at. I'm going to try to address a few important points that some of you made that I think need to be addressed.

We'll start with the obvious question. Why not get more hard drive space? To answer it simply, it is easier said than done. We could most certainly upgrade our server to get quintuple the current size, but it also comes out a sacrifice. The current server uses solid-state hard drives instead of normal hard drives. All this means is that there are NO moving parts in our server's hard drive. Our hard drive is like a big flash drive, and because of that, it makes a HUGE speed difference, especially for the fact that we don't have borders in the first place. However, the compromise for using a solid-state hard drive is that it usually has a lot less room, which it does. Therefore, I'd prefer to stay on our current plan because it will make things as fast as possible on our current setup.

I actually feel like this changes the entire situation. If in 1.8, the Nether can't go farther than around 4,000,000 blocks, that's a LOT less than it used to be. But… it's still pretty big. Probably too big for our current setup to go limitless on.

Now, to answer the question… why include the End? The End was included in this decision because of the fact that there are dynamic elements of it, such as the main island and the ender dragon. On numerous occasions, the entire island has been mined down to bare minimum and has been made more or less useless. While it is possible to just reset the center island, it is a process, and having it done automatically would ensure an even distribution of when the ender dragon returns on the server, as well as providing a new chance to harvest some of the resources on the island (e.g. obsidian).

As for the question about farms, @Dextile mentioned in his post how the amount of XP that can be farmed in the End is insanely high which can throw off the XP Shops, but that's the main reason. As some of the discussion has been said already, part of the point of nether travelling in the first place is to get as far away as possible from everyone. But if you build a base far away in the End, there's nobody who will likely find you. The odds are a million to one. So, by building a base or a fortress in the End, it is the most effective way to stay hidden under the radar. But as some others have stated… it's a bit counter-intuitive to our server style, for the fact that it makes a player almost invincible by going out there.

So, by deleting the End on a regular basis, we also level the playing field for others. Nether traveling and End Bases go hand in hand. When Nether travelling is allowed, people can go far distances in the Overworld to seek protection. When Nether travelling is banned, people can travel to the End to seek protection. Having both almost makes it too easy to escape all predators.

Also would like to emphasize this as well, @MCMiningCaveman! Performance enhancements are also a motivational factor for this, and one of the biggest things for me, because it would help the server in the long run the most.

I think I've hit on everything that has been said so far!

• Like Like x 2
  17. CypressXM

CypressXM Member

I'd like to revise my statement by saying that I really don't have anything against resetting The End compared to the Nether. I think resetting the end is not that big of a deal.

18. jflory7

So, you're in favor of a reset in the End, but still not in the Nether, correct?

19. MCMCaveman

I wasn't against the End resetting, i just didnt see the reasoning behind it until your post Jflory. I agree that if everyone, including the staff, are all forced to live in the Overworld then everyone is on an equal playing ground. And with Nether top travel re-allowed, then ultimately no one is completely safe, because anyone willing to endure some traveling could easily get to the world borders in a matter of a few days.

On the next Overworld reset, i would vote that NO bases be allowed to be transferred, but still allow players to move their inventories to the new world on their own.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. jflory7

Yes, everyone is in the overworld, including staff.

Hmmm, alright! That is something to consider. We'll make another poll whenever we have the next world reset (hopefully not soon).

• Agree Agree x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.